Monday 20 October 2008

Vincent van Gogh Mulberry Tree painting

Vincent van Gogh Mulberry Tree painting
Vincent van Gogh Bedroom Arles painting
Tiberius was confounded by this awkward and unforeseen question. He was silent for some time and at last said:
"The same man cannot both make the division and choose; and even if this were possible it would be immodest for me to choose or reject any particular branch of the administration when, as I have explained, I really want to be excused from the whole of it."
Gallus pressed his advantage: "The only possible division of the Empire would be: first, Rome and all Italy; second, the armies; and third, the provinces. Which of these would you choose?"
Vincent van Gogh Almond Branches in Bloom painting
When Tiberius was silent Gallus continued: “Very well. I know there's no answer. That's why I asked the question. I wanted you to admit by your silence that it was nonsense to speak of splitting into three an administrative system that has been built up and centrally coordinated by a single individual. Either

No comments: